2016 Sexual Assault Awareness Month
April 5, 2016
About the Day of Action:
The WV Intercollegiate Council Against Sexual Violence has organized a statewide campus-based day-of-action. We ask that you join us in commemorating Sexual Assault Awareness Month on April 5, 2016 by organizing a pledge event with your campus community.
- Our message: We will use the It’s On Us campaign, from the White House Task Force to Protect Students from Sexual Assault.
- Our goals: Raise awareness by creating a day-long event to demonstrate our solidarity and commitment to prevent sexual violence on college campuses, and encourage the campus community to intervene in situations that could lead to sexual assault.
- Day of Action: Utilize social media to create interest, ‘host’ the event, and conduct follow-up discussions with resources.
- Reach as many people on campus – have them complete the It’s On Us…to Stop Sexual Assault pledge at www.itsonus.org, take a photo and upload it to social media. (See the timeline of events below.)
- I pledge:
- To RECOGNIZE that non-consensual sex is sexual assault.
- To IDENTIFY situations in which sexual assault may occur.
- To INTERVENE in situations where consent has not or cannot be given.
- To CREATE an environment in which sexual assault is unacceptable and survivors are supported.
Join the event on Facebook: 2016 SAAM WV Day-of-Action
Day of Action Timeline for April 5, 2016
- 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM: Pre-event posts/reminders (See examples in Day of Action Toolkit PDF.)
- 11:00 AM – 2:00 PM: Main event – Participants take the online pledge and post to social media.
- 2:00 AM – 4:00 PM: Follow-up posts and resources.